Friday, August 30, 2024

Man’s Disobedience - God’s Wrath - Hosea 8-14

Hosea 8:4-6 (ESV)

They made kings, but not through me.

They set up princes, but I knew it not.

With their silver and gold they made idols

for their own destruction.

I have spurned your calf, O Samaria.

My anger burns against them.

How long will they be incapable of innocence?

For it is from Israel;

a craftsman made it;

it is not God.

The calf of Samaria

shall be broken to pieces.


In the later part of the book of Hosea we are reading the God’s complaint against Israel and their rejection of Him.   Hosea was sent to deliver this message and it is truly a doom and gloom and turn or burn message.  The indictment against Israel is very clear.  They turned from God to idols.  These were idols they crafted out of their own hands and then worshipped them.   They selected leaders with no consideration of what God wanted or who He wanted to lead them.    Their rejection of God brought on the anger of God.    Later in the book we will read more about God’s anger:


Hosea 11:8-9 (ESV)

How can I give you up, O Ephraim?

How can I hand you over, O Israel?

How can I make you like Admah?

How can I treat you like Zeboiim?

My heart recoils within me;

my compassion grows warm and tender.

I will not execute my burning anger;

I will not again destroy Ephraim;

for I am God and not a man,

the Holy One in your midst,

and I will not come in wrath.


God’s anger is based upon His justice.   His anger is not like our anger.  Ours is out of our selfishness and need for comfort.   The nation of Israel did not acknowledge God in their live and God’s anger corrected their behavior.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

God’s Gift is Faith - John 19-21

John 20:24-29 (ESV) Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We...