Sunday, September 8, 2024

The Time of My Departure Is At Hand - 2 Timothy 3-4

2 Timothy 4:6-8 (ESV)

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.


Since I have been reading this same Bible schedule for about 40 years, the reading of the above passage always takes place near my birthday (this year, tomorrow).   So each time I read the above, I can relate to Paul when he writes, the time of my departure has come.   This year I turn 70.    I have an older post on this same passage but it was my 60th birthday.  Obvious I wrote something about my future departure from this earth.  Yet, here I am a decade later.   Obviously, by God’s grace, I made it another decade.   Equally obvious I am getting closer to that time Paul calls departure.   I would only like to be able to say as he did, I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.   That seems to be a great thought to have in store when you are getting older.    When we reach older age we are constantly thinking of our legacy and what we leave behind.   We see our frailty in front of us and only wonder if what we left behind us is worth it.   To celebrate my 70th birthday yesterday, I road my bicycle 100 miles (along with my lovely wife Robin May).   I have tired to do that that these last years to simply accomplish something that keeps me active.   But if that is my legacy, that is a very poor and empty thing to leave the earth.   We can be known for a lot of things.   Paul believed he would be known for his fight for the gospel.   May that be my earnest desire no matter how many birthday celebration century rides I have left in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God’s Gift is Faith - John 19-21

John 20:24-29 (ESV) Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We...