Wednesday, July 24, 2024

God Blesses Us - Psalms 87-89

Psalms 89:19-26 (ESV)

Of old you spoke in a vision to your godly one, and said:

“I have granted help to one who is mighty;

I have exalted one chosen from the people.

I have found David, my servant;

with my holy oil I have anointed him,

so that my hand shall be established with him;

my arm also shall strengthen him.

The enemy shall not outwit him;

the wicked shall not humble him.

I will crush his foes before him

and strike down those who hate him.

My faithfulness and my steadfast love shall be with him,

and in my name shall his horn be exalted.

I will set his hand on the sea

and his right hand on the rivers.

He shall cry to me, ‘You are my Father,

my God, and the Rock of my salvation.’


The above lines are from A Maskil of Ethan the Ezrahite.  We know little about him other than Solomon was said to have more wisdom than this Ethan the Ezrahite (1 Kings 4:31).   So we have to conclude that he was a wise person.   In this maskil (a song) we are reading about the covenant that God made with King David.   We are struck by the overall care that God gives to David.   At the end of this song, however, we read how David’s ancestors forsook God’s covenant with David and disobeyed Him.   The amazing takeaway for us is what happens when we obey God and follow His truth and commands.   Read the above lines again and note the amazing wonder of what God does for those who walk with Him.   As children of God the above promises are not limited to David.    God has given us much protection, blessings and honor as we walk with Him.  Yes, we have the story Job in suffering and Daniel in a lions den and the weeping prophet Jeremiah.    But we have the amazing truth that God brought all of them through those moments of their lives to bless them and bring them into His glory.    We must never forget the blessings God has in store for us.  The descendants of David set their eyes on the things of this world and turned their back on what God would give them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Do We Deal With Open Sin? Numbers 25-28

Numbers 25:6-9 (ESV) And behold, one of the people of Israel came and brought a Midianite woman to his family, in the sight of Moses and in...