Sunday, June 30, 2024

Joy In Suffering - An Abundant Life - Philippians 1-2

Philippians 1:3-8 (ESV)

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel. For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.


Paul is in prison, house arrest, while writing this letter back to the church at Philippi.   He is writing to express his deep felt joy for them, his joy of being in Christ (despite his circumstances) and to instruct them about how to live out joy in the midst of such dire straits.    Paul, despite the suffering, is taking the words of Jesus seriously when He said,


John 10:10 (ESV)

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.


Paul was not going to allow anyone or anything to destroy his abundant life in Christ.   Later he will even confess his desire to have this life culminate in his going home to Jesus.  But knows that it was better for the church for him to stay and promote the joy of the faith:


Philippians 1:23-26 (ESV)

I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.


Paul is praying over this body of believers to let them know that they too can have joy in the suffering that comes with following Christ.   He states that they are all partakers with me of this grace.  This grace is God bestowing on them all abundant grace through Jesus Christ, their Savior.   That thought was enough to motivate Paul’s deep regard for them.   He did not look outward, he looked both inward and upward.   He did not allow his situation to deprive him of his joy living out his abundant life in Christ.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

God’s Gift is Faith - John 19-21

John 20:24-29 (ESV) Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We...