Thursday, October 20, 2022

You Children Are a Gift - From God/To God - Proverbs 31

 Proverbs 31:2
What are you doing, my son? What are you doing, son of my womb?
What are you doing, son of my vows?

It is assumed most of us, who have had children, have had to remind them at one time or another about their heritage and about "who they are."   I remember my mom saying to me on many occasions when I left the house in my teens.   "Don't forget 'who' you are!" she would say.    She wasn't wanting me to remember my name, but that I was her son.  Here we have King Lemuel telling us his mothers words too, in similar manner.  Lemuel (possibly a code name for Solomon ... although no one knows for sure) needs instruction from his mother (31:1) just like others.  Like other moms, to get his attention she uses gripping questions.   She is saying to him, "Do you know where you come from, son? Don't forget, I gave birth to you!  I carried you in my womb for nine months!"  Who has not heard those words before?  But, she goes on to explain he is not just a "package" she carried, but something "precious" she was given by God.  He is her "vow" back to God.   If you have ever given your child to God it is important for you to remember that and for the child.  Lemuel was some mother's vow to God.   God takes vows very seriously.  So seriously, we are told by Solomon, not to vow if we aren't going to carry the vow out (Ecclesiastes 5:4, 5).   Before she gives him any instruction, Lemuel's mom wants him to know he is alive because she birthed him and he is where he is because she made a vow to God about him.   All children should be given back to God and they should be reminded repeatedly of what we have vowed to God about them.  I believe I am in the ministry (right or wrong) because my mom constantly told me that she had vowed to God that I would preach.  How could I do anything else?   Make a vow about your kids.  Teach them according to that vow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wife Who Does Good to Her Husband - Proverbs 31

Proverbs 31:12 (NASBStr) She does him good and not evil All the days of her life. Proverbs 31:12 (ESV) She does him good, and not harm,...